*For any Metagenics orders, please use code: Lberutti
With the holidays just around the corner, many people are scrambling to lose weight! The Fall and Winter months for some can mean being less active and eating heavier meals. Here are some things you can do today to help boost your metabolism and lose weight quickly without starving yourself or trying the latest fad diet!
1. Consider food allergies as a roadblock to losing weight – food allergies set up inflammation which prevents your body from responding to the hormone adiponectin. It regulates blood sugar cravings and the storage of body fat. Inflammation also affects the hormone leptin, making it less efficacious in signaling our body to stop eating. Leptin regulates our hunger and helps us to feel full. Some common symptoms of food allergies include bloating, constipation, diarrhea, gas, congestion, fatigue , insomnia, muscle aches, dark circles under the eyes, weight gain, dull hair, acne, brain fog, depression and anxiety.
You can either get tested by your doctor or consider eliminating the top 7 antigenic foods which might be blocking your weight-loss efforts. These foods include:
Sugar and artificial sweeteners
If this seems too drastic for you, I would start by eliminating gluten and dairy for 6 weeks. You can expect to lose up to 10 pounds in the first three weeks. We offer extensive testing for food allergies from Genova Diagnostics.
2. Add beneficial spices and herbs- beneficial herbs can have a powerful effect on our metabolism and health. They can be immune boosting and cancer preventing! Check out below what these spices can do for you!
Cinnamon – helps balance blood sugar and carbohydrate cravings
Turmeric -research show this helps prevent cancer, dementia, balance hormones, and is a powerful anti-inflammatory.
Cumin-burns up to three times more fat
Ginger- powerful detoxifier and fat burner as well as immune enhancing
Cilantro-very powerful detoxifier and anti-cancer properties
Cayenne – boost metabolism by raising your body temperature
Black pepper- helps burn fat
Garlic- fights cancer, burns fat, has cardiovascular benefits
3. Add these beneficial foods-
Green tea- (my favorite!) – has antioxidants and caffeine which accelerate your metabolism. The Journal of the American College of Nutrition reported in their study that participants who drank 4 cups of green tea per day daily for three months lost six pounds more than those who drank water.
Fiber rich foods- aim to consume 25 grams of fiber per day mostly with fruits and vegetables. Fiber can not only help with weight loss but also lowers blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol
Omega 3 rich foods- lowers leptin levels which increases your metabolism
Broccoli – helps you with detoxification by flushing out toxins and improving metabolism
Citrus fruits-oranges, grapefruit, limes and lemons are high in vitamin C stabilizing blood sugar and insulin levels
Dried beans- help stabilize insulin and keeps you feeling full
Berries- help boost your adiponectin levels, decrease body fat absorption, keeps you feeling full
4. Consider detoxification – the best way to reset your metabolism is to follow a 10 day detoxification program. I have seen many patients work really hard at losing weight but simply cannot. Sometimes the missing link might be that their fat cells are storing toxins and making it difficult to lose weight. I only recommend pharmaceutical grade detoxification program such as Metagenics Ultra Clear Renew. Their detox kit comes with a protein powder, supplements, meal plans and recipes to make it easy to follow.
5. Start taking a good quality probiotic – studies have proven that probiotics release GLP-1 an appetite reducing hormone, as well as help release a protein that decreases fat storage. Ultra-Flora balance by Metagenics is a good choice for a probiotic.
6. Get Pathway Fit Genetic testing (please see note below) -If you want to get even more scientific about weight loss, we can perform a Pathway Fit test which analyzes your own personal genetics for weight loss and determines the optimal diet type for weight loss. If you want to learn more about Pathway Fit click HERE.
7. Consider a weight loss supplement– try Designs for Health Weight Loss packets which are designed to assist the body in using fat for fuel, to help support healthy insulin and cortisol levels and to help boost energy levels.
**We offer PathwayFIT Testing. This test analyzes over 75 genetic markers associated with diet, exercise and a number of chronic health conditions. With PathwayFIT testing you will receive information about the specific diet type your body needs for optimal weight loss, eating behavior traits, food reactions, nutritional needs, exercise and metabolic health factors. Pathway Fit examines genetic markers to give you personal insight about how your body processes sugar, fats, vitamins and nutrients. Our analysis will give you valuable information on how your body responds to exercise based on your genetics. Detailed meal plans and access to a registered dietician are included in the study report.
Leave a Reply