Nutrition is a very wide subject and can affect a wide variety of bodily and mental functions. One way we address Nutrition is through testing, so one is not attempting to improve nutrition blindly. Certain Nutritional Testings can help give much better insight into dietary changes and supplementation that can result in greater improvements.
Micronutrient testing is a service offered by our providers that can tell you exactly what nutrients that your body is lacking. According to Health.Gov reports on dietary guidelines in the United States, approximately three-fourths of the population has an eating pattern that is unhealthy. The “Standard American Diet” is rich in processed foods and low in nutrient dense foods. Because this way of eating has become the norm for so much of our population, many people are actually malnourished. Additionally, even people who lead healthy lifestyles and eat clean can still struggle with nutrient deficiencies.
- Individual biochemistry – Nutrient requirements vary from person to person based on genetics, metabolism, and lifestyle.
- Malabsorption – While you may be eating a diverse and balanced diet, however there can be other factors which prevent nutrients from being absorbed.
- Illness – Chronic health conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, cancers, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune issues, and more can affect nutrient deficiencies either directly or indirectly.
- Age – nutrition requirements can drastically change as you age. One example is that there is reduced absorption of B12 for a person who is 50 years old compared to a person who is 20 years old.
- Lifestyle – Overconsumption of alcohol, smoking, lack of sleep, sedentary lifestyle, and excessive exercise can all affect nutrient absorption.
- Stress – Emotional, physical, and environmental stressors all affect nutritional needs and absorption of nutrients from food.
- Some prescription drugs and over the counter medications can also impede absorption or increase the need for certain types of nutrients.
Deficiencies can potentially set the stage for chronic disease, inflammation, illness, decreased immune function, hormonal imbalances, mood, and the ability to cope with stress. All of these factors can decrease both physical and mental health and greatly affect quality of life. The SpectraCell Micronutrient test is the only one on the market that measures nutritional status, but also how well nutrients are functioning in the body. Since each individual person is different, this can offer specific insight into your health and then your provider can work with you to devise a plan to make sure you are properly nourished and that your mind and body can achieve optimal function. Conditions Affected by Nutrient Status
- Cardiovascular disease
- High blood pressure
- High levels of inflammation which are precursors for serious illness and lowered immune function
- Stress tolerance
- Men and women’s health
- Many other common conditions
The SpectraCell Micronutrient test measures how well micronutrients function at a cellular level, and not just the blood levels of nutrients. Other serum blood tests may only look at the concentration of nutrients outside of the cells, but the SpectraCell shows levels within the cell structure where essential metabolic function occurs. It is an excellent indicator of overall health. In some cases, people who are suffering from hormonal imbalances may actually be experiencing nutritional deficiencies which then cause hormonal imbalances. It’s also possible that attempts at balancing hormones can be thwarted because of malnutrition issues. Dr. Berutti also specializes in bioidentical hormone replacement therapy and the Micronutrient test can be used in conjunction with hormone testing to get to the root of any symptoms that you may be experiencing. Another advantage of the SpectraCell test is that it will show long-term micronutrient status over a period of months, and not just a snapshot of where levels may be for the particular day that the testing is completed. SpectraCell also uses the patented Spectrox® which looks at antioxidant capacity and Immunidex which measures immune system function. Test components include:
- Amino acids
- Carbohydrate metabolism
- Fatty acids
- Total antioxidant function
- Immune response
For a complete list of nutrients tested, click here. Since nutrition is the foundation of health, Dr. Berutti offers this test to all of her patients as one of the first steps to determine root causes of illness and hormonal imbalance.
Dr. Berutti and PA, Melanie Martin, also offer PathwayFit Testing. This test analyzes over 75 genetic markers associated with diet, exercise and a number of chronic health conditions. With PathwayFIT testing you will receive information about the specific diet type your body needs for optimal weight loss, eating behavior traits, food reactions, nutritional needs, exercise and metabolic health factors. Pathway Fit examines genetic markers to give you personal insight about how your body processes sugar, fats, vitamins and nutrients. Our analysis will give you valuable information on how your body responds to exercise based on your genetics. Detailed meal plans and access to a registered dietician are included in the study report.
Contact our New Patient Coordinator for More Information
When many patients come to see us, they have lost hope because they’ve felt unwell for so long and don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel. It’s rewarding as a practitioner to be able to help so many people realize a much improved quality of life and a regained sense of vitality!
Please call us to get more information about how our clinic and Dr. Berutti can help you with your health goals.
We look forward to the opportunity to restore your health and regain your vitality for life!
For More Information Call Us at 817-539-6168
Or fill in the inquiry form below and tell us the best way to reach you.