Dr. Lyn Berutti and PA Melanie Martin at Dynamic Life Health Center use a functional medicine approach with their patients. Many people are living with or are at risk of chronic diseases, hormonal imbalances, thyroid problems, and autoimmune disorders. These individuals are falling through the gaps of conventional medical practices and are not getting the help that they need in order to heal and feel their best.
Patients look to medical professionals to help them get better and fix what’s wrong with them. In many cases, their quality of life is affected or grossly disrupted as they get sicker and lose hope. When they see doctors who only focus on addressing symptoms, they can become frustrated with the lack of comprehensive care.
Conventional medicine has its place. It focuses on treating symptoms and diseases through medication and surgery. This works very well for things like acute infections, trauma, and serious life-threatening illness. Physicians use treatments such as surgeries, antibiotics, and other drugs to treat their patients. This can be beneficial and life-saving in many circumstances. However, in many cases, this is not enough to restore the patient to health and vitality.
Have Questions? Contact Our New Patient Coordinator!
Or, Simply Complete the Form Below and We Will Contact You!
Functional Medicine in Southlake, TX
A functional medicine approach is the practice of finding the root cause of a disease. It also:
- Recognizes that your symptoms aren’t necessarily the same thing as your diagnosis
- Looks for underlying causes of disease, strives to improve the aging process, and prevents future illness.
- Offers an individualized and customized approach to your specific health needs.
- Provides you with the much-needed time so that all of your health concerns can be addressed comprehensively. For example, our office visits range from an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half. This is a stark difference from the standard ten to twenty minutes that you are likely to get in a conventional medicine environment.
- Uses the latest preventative and screening tests in order to proactively manage chronic illness and prevent future problems from developing. This includes comprehensive testing, which identifies key markers for illness, risks, deficiencies, and imbalances.
- Engages both the patient and provider in a partnership to ensure whole-body wellness.
- Considers all things which can affect health, such as diet, lifestyle, environment, and genetics.
- Takes into account the whole person, including physical, emotional, and mental health, in order to optimize wellness.
- Focuses on the early detection of stress-related disorders and inflammation, which can be a precursor to serious disease.
“My husband and I, as well as my two daughters, are patients. Dr. Berutti is the best in Texas. My husband had complicated medical symptoms and Dr. Berutti figured out what was going on. No other doctor could. If you want the best, try to get an appointment with Dr. Berutti. I would not trust my family to anyone else.” – Ellen P.
The Role of The Endocrine System in Functional Medicine
Imbalances in the endocrine systems can wreak havoc on the way people feel, cause premature aging, and have cascading effects on other health issues and illnesses. In a functional medicine environment, we explore and address all underlying issues so that you can achieve wellness and optimal health. As you age, balancing hormones can be difficult to do on your own, even if you eat a clean diet and exercise regularly. Both women and men can experience hormonal imbalances. For women, this can be due to perimenopause, PMS, menopause, and PCOS. For men, they can be caused by andropause. Both sexes can be affected by adrenal insufficiency, gut imbalances, thyroid disease, sleep issues, and chronic illnesses, which all affect our hormone system. Balancing the endocrine system is key to delaying aging, preventing life-threatening illnesses, and being able to live a life of wellness and vitality.
Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalances May Include:
- Weight gain or difficulty losing weight/changes in metabolism
- Decreased libido/loss of libido
- Vaginal dryness/atrophy
- Hot flashes
- Erectile dysfunction
- Muscle and joint aches/swollen joints
- Inability to fall asleep/stay asleep
- Brain fog/difficulty concentrating
- Decreased ability to handle stress
- Loss of muscle tone/muscle mass
- Heart palpitations
- Digestive issues such as constipation, bloating, or diarrhea
- Sagging or wrinkly skin
- Hair loss, thinning, or changes in texture
- Elevated blood pressure
- Elevated lipids
- Increased abdominal weight gain
- Painful sex
- Difficulty urinating/frequent urination/frequent UTIs
- Muscle weakness
- Heat/cold intolerance
- Irregular or absent periods
- Acne on face, chest, shoulders
- Dry skin
“I have been a patient of Dr. Berutti’s for about 9 months and I have most definitely improved my health and quality of life since I first saw her as a patient and began her recommendations and medical guidance for Hormone Replacement Therapy. I find Dr. Berutti to be extremely thorough and very specialized in this area of medical treatment. She understands how to balance hormones throughout the body and she is not a doctor that prescribes a one size fits all treatment plan. It takes time to get everything back in balance and I would encourage anyone that seeks this type of treatment to be patient and follow her advice and recommendations. It takes time to get dosages correct and everything in balance. NO more hot flashes for me. My energy level is so much better. Everything is better. I hope that she will continue to be my “anti-aging hormone balance” doctor for many, many years to come. She is truly the best and I highly recommend her.” – Deanna M.
Functional Medicine — Hormone Specialist
Dr. Berutti’s and PA Melanie’s specialties include:
- BHRT (Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy) for women and men
- Thyroid Disorders, including Hashimoto’s Disease and Hypothyroidism
- Adrenal Fatigue
- Nutrition and Metabolism
- Digestive disorders
- Cardiovascular wellness
- Food allergies/sensitivities
- Toxic screening
- Disease prevention
- Anti-aging and long-term wellness
- Gut dysbiosis
“When I first visited Dr. Berutti and got the results to my first panel of tests, no wonder I was lethargic, fatigued, not sleeping well and just feeling old at 49. I was pre-diabetic, overweight, with high blood pressure and low hormonal levels. Through Dr. Berutti’s guidance of hormonal and supplement therapy, I began to see dramatic results: blood pressure under control, over 30 pounds weight loss to date, energy back at levels I don’t even remember, and exercise back as a normal part of my life. I’m about to ride my first century at “Hotter ‘N Hell 100,” the day before my 50th birthday! I couldn’t be feeling better and can’t recommend enough Dr. Berutti’s program.” – Michael P.
Call our New Patient Coordinator to get all your questions answered.
Or fill in the inquiry form below and tell us the best way to reach you.
Lab Testing: A Key Element of Our Functional Medicine Approach
A functional medicine approach to health includes personalized lab testing to check for imbalances and other markers to determine your state of health, goals, and risk factors for disease. Lab testing will be different based on individual needs, concerns, and budget, but generally, she will use a combination of blood serum levels and saliva testing to determine values for things such as:
- Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone
- Comprehensive Thyroid testing
- Diabetes Testing
- Blood sugar and A1C
- Liver function
- Kidney function
- Inflammation levels
- Key nutrient levels such as Vitamin D3, B12, and Magnesium
Gut Health and Testing
When you think of someone with high blood pressure, diabetes, mental illnesses, or an auto-immune disease, do you automatically think, “I wonder what’s going on in their gut?” Most people don’t, but your gut is considered to be your “second brain” and has many influences that can affect your health.Your gut health has a tremendous impact on the strength of your immune system and thus plays a large role in overall health. The gut microbiome can become out of balance due to poor diet habits, stress, medications, and illness. The first signs of an unhealthy gut may present as digestive disorders, however many chronic illnesses can be related to gut dysbiosis as a root cause, such as:
- Digestive issues
- Autoimmune diseases
- Obesity, heart disease, and diabetes
- Hormonal imbalances
- Mental illnesses
You are the influencer of your gut health through your diet, the medications you take, and various lifestyle factors. Your healthy gut flora is the protector of your body from the outside environment. Whatever you put through your digestive system is what these bacteria live off of. When you overload them with unhealthy foods or medications, it’s hard for them to protect you, which can lead to many health concerns.
Evidence continues to grow on how the imbalance of good bacteria to bad bacteria in your gut, also known as dysbiosis, can directly affect your health. At DLHC, we offer a variety of testing options to see the state of your gut health so that it can be treated appropriately to get you on the road to better health.
The Standard American Diet and Gut Health
Our “SAD” (Standard American Diet) is simply that — sad. It’s pumped with high-fat, processed foods which are easy to eat when on the run, but not so good for your body. It’s no surprise that gastrointestinal issues can occur with gut dysbiosis. Altered gut microbiota can lead to inflammatory bowel disease, celiac disease, allergies, irritable bowel syndrome, and even colon cancer. Increased gut permeability — or “Leaky Gut” — caused by an imbalance of your gut bacteria has been a major precursor to certain autoimmune diseases. Inflammation in your gut leads to a dysregulation of your immune system.
An imbalance in gut bacteria can affect your body’s metabolism through digestion and absorption of certain nutrients. Multiple studies have shown that an imbalance in gut bacteria can potentially lead to cardiovascular diseases such as obesity, diabetes, coronary artery disease, and even heart failure.
The gut also speaks to the brain via your vagus nerve. This is known as your gut-brain axis, which is another important reason to keep up healthy bacteria in your gut. They can indirectly influence moods like depression or anxiety, sleep, memory, and cognition. Through this vagus nerve, the gut is able to communicate with your hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis to also regulate your hormones.
Click HERE to read more about how gut bacteria can influence your overall health.
Cardiovascular Testing/Advanced Lipids
Prevention and chronic disease management are big factors in Functional Medicine. For those with a family history of heart disease or for patients who have cardiovascular disease risk factors and/or metabolic risk factors (such as pre-diabetes or diabetes and insulin resistance), we offer advanced cardiovascular testing. This in-depth serum blood test is much more detailed than standard cholesterol testing; in fact, many people whose regular cholesterol tests are within the normal range show abnormalities in this advanced lipid testing. It gives a much more detailed account of risk factors so that signs of disease can be treated proactively. Testing includes:
- Lipoprotein particles – Lipoprotein particle size, number, and Apolipoprotein concentrations reveal levels of good and bad cholesterol particles, which provide a far better predictor of risk than traditional lipid profiles alone.
- Inflammation – This testing reveals the level of inflammation of blood vessels that may lead to plaque rupture, resulting in a heart attack or stroke.
- Heart Function – Advanced tests detect strain or damage to the heart muscle, which can lead to more appropriate treatment for preventing heart attack.
- Genetics – Genetic markers predict the risk of heart attack and strokes. This testing can help guide the most beneficial therapy for your genotype.
- Metabolic – These markers lead to the early detection of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- HD Omega 3 Index – A fatty acid profile is a potent indicator of the nutrients in a patient’s diet that can improve cardiovascular health.
Acute and Wellness Visits for Existing Patients
We offer existing patients other services as well. Dr. Berutti and her PA, Melanie Martin, both offer Wellness Visits for both men and women. Additionally, we offer our patients who are experiencing acute symptoms of illness. ** We are proud to offer these services to all of our patients so that you do not have to worry about seeing different doctors for your healthcare needs. ** Due to COVID-19, we are currently not seeing patients experiencing respiratory illnesses until further notice. We do not test for, vaccinate, or treat patients with COVID-19. We provide the following services:
- Wellness visits
- Acute visits
- Annual women’s and men’s wellness visits
- Stool sample (based on age/risk factors)
Other Specialized Testing
- ZRT Saliva Hormone Testing
- Galleri Cancer Screening Test
- Vibrant America Food Sensitivities Testing
- Vibrant America Food Allergies Testing
- Vibrant America Gut Zoomer
- Vibrant America Wheat Zoomer
- Genova GI Effects Testing
- ZRT Neurotransmitter Testing
- ZRT Saliva Cortisol Testing
- Micronutrient Testing
- Telomere Testing – Age-adjusted telomere length is a method to evaluate biological age by studying your chromosomal changes. Therapies can be directed at slowing the loss of telomere length, which may slow aging and age-related disease. This test measures health with markers specific to aging and longevity.
- Biomarkers Testing – We offer lab testing to screen for certain genotypes and biomarkers that have been linked to higher rates of Alzheimer’s, cognitive decline, and stroke.
- Genova Rhythm Plus – This is a saliva test that includes an Adrenal Cortex stress profile and a comprehensive melatonin profile to show which sex hormones are influenced by cortisol, DHEA, and melatonin.
- Estrogen Metabolites – This test offers a comprehensive look at estrogen metabolism and how it can affect you and your health.
We can provide you with the paperwork that contains the diagnostic and CPT codes that you can submit for possible reimbursement with your insurance company. We encourage you to contact your insurance company prior to your first visit to ask them what benefits they give for seeing an out-of-network provider and for comprehensive lab work. If they will not cover lab fees, we can offer our patients a substantial self-pay discount, and we will work with you to keep costs within your budget. You are also able to use Health Saving Accounts (HSAs) and FSAs.
Contact Our New Patient Coordinator For Additional Information
When many patients come to see us, they have lost hope because they’ve felt unwell for so long and don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel. It’s rewarding as a practitioner to help so many people realize a much better “normal” and a regained sense of vitality!
Please call us to get more information about how our clinic and Dr. Berutti can help you with your health goals and schedule an appointment.
We look forward to the opportunity to restore your health and regain your vitality for life!
For More Information Call Us at 817-539-6168
Or fill in the inquiry form below and tell us the best way to reach you.
"*" indicates required fields